the_ki
Sep 26, 08:55 AM
Lame.
The only way the iPhone market even makes sense is via an Apple MVNO.
Since when does Apple NOT want to "control the whole widget"? I don't want Apple controlled by the nutjob mobile providers.
As much of an Apple fanboy as I am, I would never use Cingular. But beyond that, it signals that the Apple iPhone will be incredibly lame -- just another music phone (basically an Apple ROKR/SLVR), because that is pretty much all that Cingular trades in.
I'm with you. As a MVNO, Apple could kick Helio's ass. Maybe they are becoming an MVNO and they're leasing their network time from Cingular? That makes sense, don't it?
Think about it...
.Mac mobile
The cellphone connects to your .Mac mail, your iCal calendar, and your Address Book.
iChat and text messaging would become one and the same. I could use iChat to talk with a friend on his iPhone, and vice versa. The iPhone has a camera, right? Video conference from the train, anyone?
Buy ringtones at the iTunes store, or just use any song in your library as your ringtone, or write your own ringtone in Garageband.
Download your podcasts from anywhere.
The photos you shoot automatically go into your iPhoto photocast. Your videos sync up with an iTunes playlist. Everything automatically appears on your dynamically-powered iWeb. It's moblogging for the masses.
And since they'll need to sell them to Windows users, lots of folks will have .Mac mobile accounts, but they can't really use them to their full advantage unless they use iLife on a Mac, which they'll just have to buy.
Yes, this is all conjecture, but it's the only thing that really makes a full-fledged Apple iPhone make sense to me in their overall plan for world domination.
Your thoughts?
The only way the iPhone market even makes sense is via an Apple MVNO.
Since when does Apple NOT want to "control the whole widget"? I don't want Apple controlled by the nutjob mobile providers.
As much of an Apple fanboy as I am, I would never use Cingular. But beyond that, it signals that the Apple iPhone will be incredibly lame -- just another music phone (basically an Apple ROKR/SLVR), because that is pretty much all that Cingular trades in.
I'm with you. As a MVNO, Apple could kick Helio's ass. Maybe they are becoming an MVNO and they're leasing their network time from Cingular? That makes sense, don't it?
Think about it...
.Mac mobile
The cellphone connects to your .Mac mail, your iCal calendar, and your Address Book.
iChat and text messaging would become one and the same. I could use iChat to talk with a friend on his iPhone, and vice versa. The iPhone has a camera, right? Video conference from the train, anyone?
Buy ringtones at the iTunes store, or just use any song in your library as your ringtone, or write your own ringtone in Garageband.
Download your podcasts from anywhere.
The photos you shoot automatically go into your iPhoto photocast. Your videos sync up with an iTunes playlist. Everything automatically appears on your dynamically-powered iWeb. It's moblogging for the masses.
And since they'll need to sell them to Windows users, lots of folks will have .Mac mobile accounts, but they can't really use them to their full advantage unless they use iLife on a Mac, which they'll just have to buy.
Yes, this is all conjecture, but it's the only thing that really makes a full-fledged Apple iPhone make sense to me in their overall plan for world domination.
Your thoughts?
Piggie
Apr 22, 05:34 AM
I'm amazed that no-one is seeing the very dangerous path we could be heading down here. Will people only see it when it's too late?
Are we looking into the jaws of the future where you pay, but never OWN anything? Music, Movies, Apps.
You pay to have the right to listen/watch/use the data.
The data is never downloaded to your device to do as you wish, it's always held by the owners. or distributors.
I can see this coming like a flashing red warning sign.
Are we looking into the jaws of the future where you pay, but never OWN anything? Music, Movies, Apps.
You pay to have the right to listen/watch/use the data.
The data is never downloaded to your device to do as you wish, it's always held by the owners. or distributors.
I can see this coming like a flashing red warning sign.
asparagus
Sep 14, 09:16 PM
I'm hoping for the MPB -still, since around June.
Something that has been mentioned a few times here and there that I would like clarifying. I will be purchasing (as part of a group order) an MPB this Saturday. When I go to the apple website, for glossy, it says 5-7 days. If I ordered the MBP, and somehow managed to hold onto it without tearing it open until the 25th, could I really send it in, unopened, for an updated MBP not questions asked?
Sorry, just wanted to clarify.
Something that has been mentioned a few times here and there that I would like clarifying. I will be purchasing (as part of a group order) an MPB this Saturday. When I go to the apple website, for glossy, it says 5-7 days. If I ordered the MBP, and somehow managed to hold onto it without tearing it open until the 25th, could I really send it in, unopened, for an updated MBP not questions asked?
Sorry, just wanted to clarify.
kavika411
Apr 22, 12:46 PM
This may have been asked and answered before, but is the common belief that USB and Firewire will be completely gone soon? For example, my Macbook Air has room for only two ports - a mini-display drive, and a USB drive. Is the idea that the Thunderbolt drive will replace the USB, and that purchasers of the new Air will use an adapter of some sort for "old" USB peripherals moving forward?
locust76
Mar 14, 01:06 PM
I recently installed Flash player on the PC side and without my permission McAffe was installed....ARGGGHH.
Bull�hit. It asked your permission, you just clicked through without reading.
Bull�hit. It asked your permission, you just clicked through without reading.
Silentwave
Jul 18, 09:08 PM
Any one know when the 45nm architecture processors are going to appear?
I'm gonna wait for those, for OS X 10.5 and iLife 07 to invest in a Mac
On track for 2007.
I'm gonna wait for those, for OS X 10.5 and iLife 07 to invest in a Mac
On track for 2007.
hipeye01
May 4, 02:04 PM
Do any of these suits ever actually get resolved?
yes they do. For good or ill, more conflicts are being mediated out of court. This saves taxpayer money:), but also prevents case law from being made, leaving judges without precedent to refer to in other cases:(
yes they do. For good or ill, more conflicts are being mediated out of court. This saves taxpayer money:), but also prevents case law from being made, leaving judges without precedent to refer to in other cases:(

iStudentUK
Apr 10, 11:07 AM
Not quite true that "Europeans" have a minimum wage of $18/hour. Remember conditions in the UK, France, Germany, Spain etc will be quite different to say Romania and Slovakia (but they will still have minimum standards set by the EU).
Later this year the UK minimum wage will be �6.08 for adults. That's $9.96 today, so $10. Presuming 5 day working week the minimum holiday amount is 28 days (5.6 weeks). The employer can control when you take time off, but can't be silly about it.
Loads of other stuff as well makes it complex. For example, you must either have 24 continual hours off in a 7 day period or 48 continual hours in 14.
Remember, we have high taxes (~20% VAT etc) but better public services in general. The UK average house price is �232k ($380k), I understand your average is ~$280k.
Swings and roundabouts!
Later this year the UK minimum wage will be �6.08 for adults. That's $9.96 today, so $10. Presuming 5 day working week the minimum holiday amount is 28 days (5.6 weeks). The employer can control when you take time off, but can't be silly about it.
Loads of other stuff as well makes it complex. For example, you must either have 24 continual hours off in a 7 day period or 48 continual hours in 14.
Remember, we have high taxes (~20% VAT etc) but better public services in general. The UK average house price is �232k ($380k), I understand your average is ~$280k.
Swings and roundabouts!
Danner909
Apr 4, 12:37 PM
This Apple bites back . . .
ChristianJapan
Apr 22, 08:05 AM
If I can stream and download to a iDevice I would be a happy camper. Should be users choice based on need. Streaming in many cases will not make it.
And SJ knows soon WHAT you listen WHERE and WHEN and HOW OFTEN. I'm sure there is marketing to be done. At least when iPhone or iPad are used.
And SJ knows soon WHAT you listen WHERE and WHEN and HOW OFTEN. I'm sure there is marketing to be done. At least when iPhone or iPad are used.
muzikool
Aug 31, 01:25 PM
I agree that $14.99 is way too high for a downloadable movie. Most retailers sell new DVD releases on sale for the week they are released, usually for $2 - $3 less than that -- and that's for a DVD! $9.99 is doable, but not $14.99. :rolleyes:
jt2110
Sep 5, 04:11 AM
Don't all wireless devices have to be approved by the FCC?
Might we get a preview of this device?
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned this.
Might we get a preview of this device?
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned this.
afd
Apr 11, 08:02 AM
Well, you CAN send the same audio to every device in your house, as long as the audio originates on your Mac (which includes simply plugging in any iOS device or iPod into your Mac).
How? Not unless I buy airfoil?
How? Not unless I buy airfoil?
urbanlung
Mar 30, 12:45 PM
back here in the UK Hoover were able to trade mark Hoover as their name despite the fact that hoover is the generic term for a vacuum cleaner!
TMar
Apr 14, 02:16 PM
First, no I made no such claim. I responded to one. And the claim wasn't that it will be restricted to being Mac only, but that it will end up being Mac only, in the same sense that FW is. Some PC ship with FW, but not many. It is considered a Mac only interface. The gist is that TB may as well, if history repeats. You didn't prove anything. You see many PC's shipping with TB right now? How many PC vendors have announces support for TB? The unfortunate fact is that consumers know the USB brand, so the vendors will support it. TB might be in Intel's spec, but that doesn't mean every system will support it nor that many drive vendors will either.
See econgeek's post. It explains is pretty well.
But FW isn't mac only by choice or need. Abit, Asus, Gigabyte and others all offers boards with FW. It was a common feature for motherboard manufacturers for some time. Will TB be included in their low end boards? More then likely not but from mid tier to high end boards will have it.
See econgeek's post. It explains is pretty well.
But FW isn't mac only by choice or need. Abit, Asus, Gigabyte and others all offers boards with FW. It was a common feature for motherboard manufacturers for some time. Will TB be included in their low end boards? More then likely not but from mid tier to high end boards will have it.
BenRoethig
Aug 31, 01:49 PM
It seems like a good idea, but if the movies can't be burned to DVD, it might be as big a failure as the store was a success. Unless, Apple were to relase a set top media center Mac to go with it.
macintel4me
Sep 5, 07:24 AM
I really wish the media device rumor is true, but i would highly doubt that Apple would bring out the successor to the iPod this early. May be it is a pilot program like the Rockr phone for music on cell phones that Apple wants to experiment with by throwing a media streaming device in the market!
Also, i really wish the movies are priced at $4.99 rather than $9.99!
No, no, no! The iPod is for mobile entertainment. The media device is for the living room. Nothing mutually exclusive about these at all.
Also, i really wish the movies are priced at $4.99 rather than $9.99!
No, no, no! The iPod is for mobile entertainment. The media device is for the living room. Nothing mutually exclusive about these at all.
DVK916
Jul 16, 01:02 AM
There is no way apple with go with Merom for the imac. One huge factor you are all ignoring, is price. Merom cost alot more than conroe for the same speed. Apple will try to lower cost, and that means going with Conroe.
Mikael
Sep 9, 10:50 AM
Thanks :D
No problem. :)
the title you just mentioned belongs to the MacPro...sorry for the misunderstanding...:rolleyes:
What a joke.
How is Winblows going on your side, Aiden? Many BSODs today?
Awww... Not this again. Windows doesn't blue screen without reason. If it did BSOD left and right, I would think that any of the three desktops at work should have gotten one in the 30,000 hours they've clocked now... I don't think I've ever seen a BSOD not being caused by bad or incorrectly configured hardware, overclocking or possibly bad drivers. As a matter of fact, the only BSODs I've had since 2002 (when I switched to XP) have been related to overclocked hardware. People need to check their damn hardware before going all ballistic over Microsoft's supposedly unstable operating system.
I always test the CPU/memory/mobo using Prime95 and Memtest86 right after I build a computer. I've caught some bad memory this way. Moreover, it has enabled me to stay BSOD-less on every machine I've built so far (that's ~15 machines in the past 5 years).
Mainly I used to leave my tower on 24/7 and the worst I would get is switching my monitor on first thing in the morning or when I got home from work and see it had rebooted itself and was telling me it was an invalid system disc.
That's almost 100% a hardware malfunction that causes Windows to restart after a serious failure. The default setting in Windows is to restart when it encounters a serious system failure and this can be disabled in the control panel to aid in seeking out the failing hardware. But I guess this is too late to fix now, since it sounds as if you sold the machine.
No problem. :)
the title you just mentioned belongs to the MacPro...sorry for the misunderstanding...:rolleyes:
What a joke.
How is Winblows going on your side, Aiden? Many BSODs today?
Awww... Not this again. Windows doesn't blue screen without reason. If it did BSOD left and right, I would think that any of the three desktops at work should have gotten one in the 30,000 hours they've clocked now... I don't think I've ever seen a BSOD not being caused by bad or incorrectly configured hardware, overclocking or possibly bad drivers. As a matter of fact, the only BSODs I've had since 2002 (when I switched to XP) have been related to overclocked hardware. People need to check their damn hardware before going all ballistic over Microsoft's supposedly unstable operating system.
I always test the CPU/memory/mobo using Prime95 and Memtest86 right after I build a computer. I've caught some bad memory this way. Moreover, it has enabled me to stay BSOD-less on every machine I've built so far (that's ~15 machines in the past 5 years).
Mainly I used to leave my tower on 24/7 and the worst I would get is switching my monitor on first thing in the morning or when I got home from work and see it had rebooted itself and was telling me it was an invalid system disc.
That's almost 100% a hardware malfunction that causes Windows to restart after a serious failure. The default setting in Windows is to restart when it encounters a serious system failure and this can be disabled in the control panel to aid in seeking out the failing hardware. But I guess this is too late to fix now, since it sounds as if you sold the machine.
Tailpike1153
Mar 30, 01:45 PM
You'll find Microsoft's reason to sue Apple is here (http://phone.microsoftplatformready.com/Dashboard.aspx). Guess Microsoft is protecting itself from a legal butt kicking by being preemptive.
twoodcc
Sep 26, 10:48 AM
well since i already have cingular, then this doens't bother me. bring it on :cool:
darbus69
Apr 4, 11:47 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)
ultimate fanboys pay the price, ouch?!?!
ultimate fanboys pay the price, ouch?!?!
LimeiBook86
Sep 12, 04:29 PM
So I assume in order to play these new games and such you need to update your 5G iPod's software to version 1.2? Has anyone been able to update theirs without a total "Restore?", if so I'd be interested but, erasing my iPod at this moment isn't really something I want to do haha. I mean if you click on the 'Games' tab in the iPod summary it will tell you that you need to click 'Update' to update your iPod, so hopefully there will be a way to do this without erasing everything and starting over. ;)
I also wonder if you buy one game if you can share that game to multiple iPods (for example if you had two 5G iPods...or if your brother does ;)) :D The iTunes update is also nice, I was quite fond of the green icon but, I'll get used to the new one. BTW, Front Row has also been updated to version 1.3 to be compatible with iTunes 7 :)
I also wonder if you buy one game if you can share that game to multiple iPods (for example if you had two 5G iPods...or if your brother does ;)) :D The iTunes update is also nice, I was quite fond of the green icon but, I'll get used to the new one. BTW, Front Row has also been updated to version 1.3 to be compatible with iTunes 7 :)
ezekielrage_99
May 1, 05:49 AM
I think you're gonna get pretty disappointed. It wont't have blu-ray, likely no usb3, less likely that it'll have 2GBVram, the only way you're getting another hdd is to take out the optical drive, and it won't support 24GB of RAM.
I know I'll be disappointed if it doesn't come with that spec and I did add comments to the side reinforcing the fact I am realistic, but I would expect it to at least support 24GB considering there are Sandy Bridge mainboards that do support that while 1GB graphics is pretty standard now (well for PC).
2 internal HDDs and no i3 option is just wishful thinking though ;) While Bluray I can understand from an Apple stand point why it wont be an addition anytime soon.
However consider this, the last MBP release did surprise many with regards to the specs and performance. Many speculated it would be i3/5 and BTO would have i7 while the other main rumor speculated would not come with Thundercats or a 1GB Video card option.
Lately with regards to specs I think Apple are getting a little better with releasing competitive spec machines.
I know I'll be disappointed if it doesn't come with that spec and I did add comments to the side reinforcing the fact I am realistic, but I would expect it to at least support 24GB considering there are Sandy Bridge mainboards that do support that while 1GB graphics is pretty standard now (well for PC).
2 internal HDDs and no i3 option is just wishful thinking though ;) While Bluray I can understand from an Apple stand point why it wont be an addition anytime soon.
However consider this, the last MBP release did surprise many with regards to the specs and performance. Many speculated it would be i3/5 and BTO would have i7 while the other main rumor speculated would not come with Thundercats or a 1GB Video card option.
Lately with regards to specs I think Apple are getting a little better with releasing competitive spec machines.
No comments:
Post a Comment